As a high school senior photographer in Oklahoma City, one of the most frequently asked questions I get is “what should I wear for my senior photos?” I get it! It can be so stressful to pick out the “perfect” outfits for your senior photos, but do not stress! I am here to help you every step of the way! We can do a pre-session fashion consult. Most of my clients like to do these over the phone first to just discuss basics and then through text as they start pulling together their outfits. Clients will text me images of their outfits or different pieces they love and we will work to create the best variety and looks for your entire session!
New for my spring 2023 clients, I will be emailing you a complete 90+ page What to Wear Guide after booking! This is exclusive to my clients and will help you with everything from accessories to what colors will look best for your skin coloring! I can not wait to add this resource and help you all feel confident in the outfits you choose for your senior pictures!
So, let’s take a look at 6 mistakes to avoid when choosing your outfits for your big day!
1. Same style throughout every outfit: don’t show up to your senior session with the same kind of clothing piece (for example, maxi dresses) or the same vibe (for example, sophisticated) for every single outfit. Get some variety in there! Bring different kinds of pieces like denim for one outfit then a formal gown, then a skirt or some shorts and make sure they range from casual to sophisticated and everything in between!
2. Colors that don’t complement your skin tone: wearing the wrong colors for your skin tones can make you look washed out and very drab. To stay looking fresh and your best, go with colors that are known to fit your seasonal shades, like warm, cool, or neutrals. Have you ever wondered why you feel and look better in some colors versus others? It all comes down to your skin tone and the colors that coordinate best with it. We have a skin tone test in our all new What to Wear Guide to help you figure out the best colors for you!
3. Outfits that aren’t authentic to you: don’t wear something you’d never normally wear. The last thing you want to do is look back on your senior pictures years later and wonder what the heck you were thinking. Stay true to you when it comes to your outfit selection!
4. Wearing the same colors in all of your outfits, over and over again. I’m all for a good monotone color palette, but your senior session is a time for purposeful variety that showcases your personality. Opt for a beautiful range of colors that look good with your skin tone for the ultimate variety. If you absolutely must stick with one or two colors, at least vary the shades to mix it up. Another option is to wear accessories that have a pop of color!
5. Not wearing any accessories. The easiest way to take an outfit from blah to Pinterest- worthy is to throw on a few accessories that can really elevate your look. Don’t forget to bring some hats, scarves, belts, jewelry, and other accessories to your senior session.
6. Wearing all the trends all the time. Yes, staying trendy is fun and fashionable, but unless that’s part of who you are as a person (aka a total fashionista), opt for wardrobe pieces that are more true to you. And don’t forget – you can always throw on a trendy piece as a secondary element or accessory to modernize your look.
Ready to book your senior photos with a photographer that will help you throughout the entire process? Email me at email@example.com or complete the contact form and I will send you the BPP Senior Magazine and get your booking process started! As soon as you officially book, your What to Wear Guide will be emailed directly to you for an inside look at how to pull together the best outfits for your senior portrait session.
If you enjoyed this blog post about outfits for senior portraits, you might also enjoy:
“5 Mistakes to Avoid for Your Senior Pictures”
“5 Accessories to Bring to Your Senior Portrait Session”
I am Brandi Price, a Senior Portrait Photographer in Oklahoma City!
Please complete the contact form below and I will be in-touch with you within the next 48 hours.
I will send you additional information in the next 48 hours!
Oklahoma City, OK
I love how each one of your seniors is dressed to fit their personality! As much as we want to know what to wear for senior pictures, avoiding these mistakes is just as important. I often have girls that forget jewelry or accessories, or they have all the same colors for their outfits. Great post, Brandi!
Sometimes knowing what not to do can make things so much easier! Just trying to make things as stress free as possible for my senior clients!
I love your ideas for purposeful and authentic senior photo outfits. It is great that you will walk through this difficult task with your clients and make sure their outfits complement their personality and their style. And who doesn’t want Pinterest-worthy attire for their senior photography pictures? Great read.
Thanks Andrea! I love customizing each senior session to my clients unique personality!
Great tips on what clothing mistakes to avoid for Senior Portraits.
Thanks for telling us about the 6 wardrobe mistakes to avoid for your senior pictures. It’s tough to know what to bring or wear or do.
Such great advice for seniors to prepare for their senior photos! I LOVE #3! So many people try to get fancy for photos when they genuinely shine being themselves.
So many stunning locations in OKC for senior pictures and your work is standout!
Thank you so much Jody!
Wow, what a great list! So many truths here and I love that it’s more than just wear this it’s don’t wear this to your senior session. Great post.
Thank you for stopping by Lisa!
Love this and such great advise for things to avoid when taking senior photos! These images are fantastic and explain how to look amazing in their photos!
Thank you Kelly!